Popular Posts

Wednesday 24 June 2020

The heart of a child

One of my favourite memories is of the sound of my parents laughing over breakfast. Waking up in the back bedroom, where I grew up, as a visiting adult: California sunshine streaming in through the blinds: smelling the coffee and hearing the laughter. The laughter.

I miss that.

When my sister died of cancer, aged 37, I thought I might never laugh again. But I had three young children, soon to be four, and they kept me laughing. Their wonder and excitement as they discovered the beautiful world God has given us to live in, was infectious; their loving hugs and cuddles were so comforting; life went on and so did laughter.

No wonder Jesus praised the little children; they reveal the Kingdom to us.

What makes God laugh, I wonder? In the midst of racial strife and injustice, of pandemic deaths and uncertainties, of refugee camps and persecution and gender inequality, how can he find anything to make him laugh?

I sing, ‘Break my heart for what breaks yours’, but in a way, surely, I get that. It’s all of the above and more. My prayer today is, ‘Show my heart what makes yours sing and laugh’.

My thoughts are drawn to the children again. Watching Flick’s delight in slugs and snails and ladybirds, hearing her laughter as she discovers details about these creatures. She reveals the Kingdom to all who have eyes to see.

Today, Lord, give me the heart of a little child.


No comments:

Post a Comment