Popular Posts

Friday 10 July 2020

Delicate Aromas

A delicate scent wafts from the sweet peas in a vase on the table. They are lovely – shades of mauve and pink, lilac and white, and release such a sweet aroma: brings a smile to my face. The seeds were planted indoors in late February, in cardboard toilet rolls, and then carefully transplanted and trained up a trellis. A lot of work, but worth it.

Last week I had the wild sweet peas in a vase on the table. They reappear year after year: prolifically spreading across the flower bed, they are no work, but they give off no sweet scent.

The Bible talks of the sweet scent of Jesus. We can be ‘carriers’ of his aroma. It doesn’t take work, lest I appear to be saying we need to earn his presence in our lives. It does take focus and dedication, and a real heart-felt desire to carry his fragrance into every situation we face today.

There’s no artifice in his fragrance. Truth, justice, mercy and love mingle to sweeten the sourest of situations. May I never lose my hope in the Lord, who is working in every dire circumstance, bringing comfort to the heartbroken and weary and encouragement to the despairing, May I never lose my expectation that he can turn every disaster around. Thank you, Lord.


No comments:

Post a Comment