Popular Posts

Tuesday 7 July 2020

Breezy

Outside the prayer window, the breeze ruffles the twigs and leaves, first one way, then the next. It whips in from the west, tickles and teases in erratic rhythm, which is no rhythm at all.

The substantial tree trunks remain rooted to the spot, unbending, unaffected by the trifling, playful breeze.

It is good to be rooted, to have my roots down deep in Jesus and not be swayed by the capriciousness of the changing winds. But if I only stand rigid and planted, and never allow the breezes to play through my mind, I think I will die. My leaves will drop and my branches will decay and I will stand twisted and stark against the sky, dead.

I need those leaves which are dancing this morning, to gather the life from the sunshine and photosynthesize it into who I am. I need to play and laugh and enjoy breezes which may not always come from the same direction. I need to dance with the breezes, retaining my hold on the goodness of God and the faithfulness of Jesus, while allowing some of my ideas to be challenged and even change direction of growth.

I may be rooted in Jesus, but I have much to learn. The older I get, the more I understand how little I understand, and how much is to be gained from listening to and playing with the ideas of children, of people of different experience, of different race, of different nationality, of different religion.

May I always welcome the breezes, bouncing new ideas off of me, challenging me to reconsider my attitudes, encouraging me, sometimes, to repent – change direction.


No comments:

Post a Comment