Popular Posts

Wednesday 15 July 2020

I paused at the loch at the entrance to the Castle grounds, standing where I once stood for hours on end, throwing sticks for an energetic and enthusiastic Dusty. We were on the path of the ‘wet walk’. The loch was quiet, reflecting the trees overhanging, scummed with pollen and twigs.

I walked on, across the boardwalk, noticing. At first the burn was sluggish, murky and thick. I walked on until I heard the welcome chatter of the bubbling burn, Coy Burn. Again, I paused, another favourite bathing spot of Dusty’s. I stood still, alone, letting the refreshing sound of the bubbling burn wash over me, drenching me in its peace. Delight is to be found in paying attention. I waited.

I waited, paying attention. Plenty, I sensed the Lord saying to me. Plenty. An odd word in relation to a bubbling burn. Not one I would have chosen. Why did he?

Plenty. Whatever we have, however much or however little, it is plenty in his hands. I think of the little boy’s lunch. He brought it to Jesus to share with thousands of hungry people. A little bread and fish. It was plenty.

What I have, I bring to Jesus today. Life depletes me. Things in the world can deplete me, but Jesus has overcome the world. That was a favourite scripture verse of my sister Judy, who died 34 years ago yesterday. Her loss has depleted my life but the Lord invites me to bring what I have, who I am, what I dream, to him, and he will make it plenty.

Plenty is a lovely word. It’s not just enough: it’s abundance, it’s pressed down and overflowing. Today I choose to live in the plenty of the life that Jesus gives me. Jesus, who came to give us life, life to the full, pressed down and overflowing. No matter the circumstances.


No comments:

Post a Comment