Popular Posts

Thursday 9 July 2020

White Noise

When Mhairi was living in a particularly noisy neighbourhood, where ambulance sirens screamed at all hours and helicopters hovered overhead, where a flatmate’s heavy tread on bare floorboards punctuated the air, she turned on a fan when she went to bed. The white noise of the whirring fan dulled all the other cacophony and lulled her to sleep.

Sometimes I come to God in prayer with my fan turned on. I really am looking for him to dull the noise of my anxious thoughts, the whirr of helicopter worries circling in my mind, and give me peace.

I don’t want to keep doing that. I want to turn the fan off so I can really connect with God and hear his voice clearly. I no longer want to be simply lulled by his wonderful presence; I want to hear his voice clearly so I can respond to his challenges and his guidance.

Even if it means being awake in the night, praying. I just read that if you can worry, you can pray, because worry is taking prayer requests into a cul de sac of the mind whereas prayer is taking them to the throne of the King.

No more white noise in the presence of the King.


No comments:

Post a Comment