Popular Posts

Tuesday 26 October 2021

Dreich

 


The Scots have a great word for today’s weather: dreich. Everything is dripping, and the mist kisses the earth, enveloping the landscape in a damp embrace. Outside my prayer window, I drink in the colours of the season: russets and oranges, golds and browns and fading greens of all shades.

But now I have moved to another chair, and outside the kitchen window I see the Japanese rowan tree on which dangle two or three bird-feeders. This understated tree hangs heavy with pale pink translucent berries. Delicate and light, verging on creamy white, they are not a colour usually associated with autumn.

Every season of life carries inherent cultural expectations. But we are called to conform not to the expectations of the world, but to the call of God on our life.

May I never be constrained into a template designed by my culture or tribe, but instead live large and free as the individual God created me to be. Today may I use the gifts God has given me for his glory, free to express myself however I wish.

‘Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.’

 

No comments:

Post a Comment