Popular Posts

Thursday 28 October 2021

COP26: Let Glasgow Flourish

 

I came in from being treated to afternoon tea at a friend’s. It’s so long since we’ve been in each others’ homes; it’s so long since we’ve felt comfortable rather than cautious – although we did sit socially-distanced. Maybe we will continue to be cautious for a long time yet.

Flick and Greg heard me drive in and they raced to greet me, eager to show me their surprise. They led me to the ‘scary room’, the glory hole at the end of the corridor. They were so excited to show me how they had tidied it up.

The day before, I had gone into the scary room with Flick and complained that there was barely a way through the piles of toys and chairs and books and things. Flick heard my frustration and showed her love by engaging her brother’s help in clearing it up as best they could.

They showed their love by trying their best to tidy up the mess they had helped create. What I saw was their love.

Our Father God must walk through the garden of this earth and sigh with exasperation. Maybe he looks at our carelessness as he ‘tiptoes’ through the detritus from plastic water bottles, breathes in air polluted with fumes and particulates, and watches as species slide towards extinction.

COP26 offers an opportunity for the global population to unite in making tough decisions for the sake of creation. If we’re really going to make a lasting difference, though, we need to recognise our dependence on God to guide us, and we need to be inspired by our love for our creator and not by motives of self-preservation.

I am excited that there is so much prayer for COP26. I am excited that God is stirring the hearts of his people to lift up hands to praise him for what he is going to do through this. As the leaders of the world gather in Scotland this weekend, let Glasgow flourish through the preaching of God’s word, and may his glory be seen in the negotiations, conversations, and even demonstrations.

When he looks at our efforts, may he see our love for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment