Popular Posts

Friday 1 October 2021

Raglan buttonholes

 

Back in the days when I sewed my own clothes, I always found making buttonholes tricky. Even with the modern sewing machine (back in the day), which had a ‘button-holer’, the fabric needed to be positioned with greater accuracy than I always had.

Mom used to make a different kind of button hole sometimes. I think they were called raglan button holes. I never graduated to that degree of expertise.

But last night, as I prayed, in my mind’s eye I saw a raglan buttonhole, beautifully made, but not cut through. It looked perfect, but it was still useless for joining two bits of a garment together, because it remained intact and uncut. That final step – the cutting through perfectly-good fabric in order to achieve a new join – is a nerve-wracking move to make.

God has made each of us just as he wants us. In his sight, we are perfectly made. We are like the perfectly formed raglan buttonholes that Mom used to make. It is as life’s challenges and sorrows cut into us, though, that we become useful to God, and to others. As we walk through the tough times with him, the fabric of our lives is rent. It is uncomfortable, painful. But as we remain close to him, depending on him for our next steps, people around us glimpse the beauty of God’s presence and the faithfulness of his love, and they, too can be joined to him. Buttoned into eternal life.

May I yield myself to the divine tailor today, willing to be cut into so that others can know his perfect love.

No comments:

Post a Comment