Popular Posts

Wednesday 2 March 2022

Dry as Dust

 

Dry as dust.

Here in Scotland, I’m more accustomed to getting mired in mud than covered in a powdery film of dust. The only dust I see is that sitting on my furniture!

But I haven’t always lived in Scotland, and I remember the way the drought-stricken earth can become airborne and clogging, clouding vision and choking throats. Dust storms are disorienting and blinding.

Today is Ash Wednesday. Round the world, Christians will be marking themselves with dust, either physically or prayerfully, remembering that indeed, we are nothing more than dust without the breath of our Saviour bringing new life to us.

Dust clouds obscure truth and deepen the darkness within and without. On this day when our prayers and hearts focus on the violence and suffering in Ukraine, as our hearts and minds and voices join together crying ‘STOP!’, we ask God to forgive us when we have chosen to live in the confusion and darkness, when we have turned from his light and life.

There is no one good but God, Jesus said.

And yet, he died for us all. As I mourn for this world, lost and grovelling in the darkness and dust stirred up by pride, I cry out to God. Hosanna: save us!

Prince of Peace, have mercy on Ukraine today, Lord. Have mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment