Popular Posts

Monday 28 March 2022

Sooty

 

If I were to stick my head into the fireplace (before I lit the fire!!!), and huff and puff and blow hard up the chimney, I would likely be covered in a blanket of soot. In my eyes and nose and hair and face. But unless that chimney gets cleaned occasionally, it will block with the carbon and soot and eventually fill the room with deadly, overpowering fumes.

I’ve been thinking about the prodigal son story Jesus told. Starving, the rebellious young man headed home, preparing his speech of contrition as he walked. His watchful Father saw him coming, dropped everything and ran to greet and forgive, ready to party and celebrate.

The son was, in effect, blowing as hard as he could up that clogged chimney, trying to get rid of the poisons and sin that clogged his connection with his dad. But by himself, all he could achieve would be a covering of dirt that clung to him.

His dad’s effusive welcome blew the filth from the son. The wind of the Spirit cleansed him before he was wrapped in a new, clean robe.

No matter how hard we might try to clean ourselves up before approaching God, sin sticks. Only God can clean us up fully. Only he can reach the parts that we can’t, in order to bring us out of the dirt and into the purity of his Kingdom.

Cleanse the thoughts of my heart by the inspiration of your Holy Spirit, Father, that I might perfectly love you and worthily magnify your holy name, Lord Jesus, in every conversation and action today.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment