Popular Posts

Wednesday 30 March 2022

Snow showers

 

Scotland.

Two days ago I was gardening in shirtsleeves, enjoying seeing new blossom forming, the rhubarb beginning to bulge up from the earth, and tidying the winter storms’ detritus from the lawn.

Today, a white curtain of snowflakes blots out a clear sighting down the road, and I’m just hoping that blossom on the pear tree isn’t frozen down to its little socks. And now, as I write, the sun is peeking through the mottled whiteness.

It’s the last day of March, and as I recall, March came in like a lamb, so I guess I should have expected the lion to show up today. If one puts any store by old adages …

The only old adages I count on are those I read in the Bible. I know them to be true because I experience them in my life, regularly. Jesus never leaves me. When I walk through the valleys, he’s with me. When I sing on the mountaintops, he’s there singing harmony.

Last night I gathered with a few others to watch a short video of Helen Berhane, an Eritrean singer who couldn’t stop herself singing new songs telling the gospel story, and it so offended the government that they threw her into a container in the desert, hot in the day, freezing at night, no sanitation or light, and crowded with other prisoners. She didn’t stop singing her new songs. She couldn’t stop telling others about Jesus.

After over three years of torture and beatings, she was finally freed to die. But God had other plans for her, and today she lives in Denmark, still singing God’s praises. A true hero of the faith.

Sunshine or snow-shower, the Lord has drawn my boundaries in pleasant places. And may I never forget those who witness to the truth despite hardship and persecution.

May I sing God’s praises today, through whatever circumstances come my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment