Popular Posts

Tuesday 8 March 2022

Russian Invasion

 

I thought the forecast was for a second day like yesterday: clear, calm and cold. Instead it is grey and the wind is beginning to whip up.

I sat in the prayer window and watched the springtime antics of the birds. Playing tag in the bushes. Bobbing around in the field, swirling into the air, then back to the ground. And the house-hunters comparing the pros and cons of the different bird houses in the garden.

I don’t understand exactly what I’m watching with the birds, but I do enjoy it. I don’t understand quite why the weather is not conforming to the BBC forecast (and I don’t enjoy it!). And on the world stage, I am appalled and flabbergasted at the cruelty in Ukraine, and the heartlessness in the British government in painting a picture of a generous, open welcome in Calais to those fleeing Ukraine, when the reality is very few refugees can find out where to go, and when they do, they are directed to Paris or Brussels in order to get permission to enter the UK. Shame on Patel.

I was asked about Jesus’ words to his disciples, suggesting that when one is attacked, he/she should turn the other cheek. How to apply this teaching to the Russian invasion of Ukraine. I don’t know. I think I know what the right theology would be: love is more powerful than hate. Vengeance is mine, says the Lord. But I applaud the brave Ukrainians for standing up to the bully next door.

I don’t know an awful lot of things. But what I do know is that without Jesus, peace is an illusion. We need the Prince of Peace now more than ever before. Maranatha.

No comments:

Post a Comment