Popular Posts

Sunday 17 September 2023

Sunday Morning

 

Sunday morning. I up my game on Sunday when I choose what to wear, but usually the starting point is: how cold is it today? This is the northeast of Scotland.

There is what we in CA used to call a ‘fall nip’ in the air. It may be sunny, but don’t be fooled. So I discarded thoughts of a dress and went for nice trousers, sweater and blazer.

Helen welcomed me at the door of the church. ‘Oh, you look so American!’

Do I? Did I?

I realised that, in fact, the three things were all purchased from discount houses in California, over the years. But why did they look American?

I don’t know. Neither did Helen. Maybe they didn’t.

But it made me think about perceptions. I’m not bothered about what nationality I look like, but I do want my words and actions to identify me as a follower of Jesus Christ.

That thought segued into the theme of our service: the refreshing and renewal of our minds as we let them be transformed by the Holy Spirit. We were encouraged to train ourselves to think of those things listed in Philippians 4, (whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, praiseworthy) and to rest in the Lord so that we can perceive Kingdom reality and not be dragged into the negative and cynical mindsets our natural thoughts would entertain.

And so the recurring prayer of my life goes on: please, Lord, let my default thinking be that of Jesus Christ, so that my words, actions and reactions will glorify him.

No comments:

Post a Comment