Popular Posts

Friday 1 September 2023

Quiet Beauties

 



A quiet walk on a quiet morning, the first of September but it feels as settled as a good summer day. We walked beneath a canopy of trees, hearing the birdsong trilling above us. Leaves are beginning to fade and change as summer slips into history. The feather-light down of dying thistles are highlighted in the sun before a breeze scatters the seeds far and wide.

Turning into our drive, I notice the ageing sign, behind it rising the historic Hill of Fare, on which a company has designs to plant over a dozen towering windmills. I’m passionately in favour of green energy, but as I’ve written before, this proposal, if built, will have no infrastructure to carry away the energy generated. It’s a whitewash of the government’s green credentials.

Enough of that rant. It’s too beautiful a morning. I was just reflecting on the fading beauties all around me.

I lift my eyes to the hills. Where does my help come from? (not from an out-sized windfarm…) My help is in the name of the Lord, who has made heaven and earth. And what a glorious world he has given us to steward. May we each do a better job of it today than we did yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment