Popular Posts

Saturday 30 September 2023

Tranquil or a Threat?

 

A decade and more ago, Don and I visited the Great Barrier Reef off Cairns, Australia. My dad had died a month before; Dad’s mom had died three weeks before: we were in Australia for the wedding of our youngest son Doug.

Heightened emotions then.

I am not comfortable on the water. Even less comfortable in the water. I’ve just never been any good at swimming, despite many lessons and attempts.

All glory to God, who enabled me to relax and absolutely love the experience of entering the warm waters twenty-five miles out to sea. That’s a different story from what I’m thinking of this morning, but all glory to Him for gifting me an experience of a lifetime.

As I snorkelled (for the first and only time in my life), the waters on the surface were choppy and rough, as a hurricane was brewing. When I rested my facemask on the waters, though, the sight which met my eyes was one of serenity and calm and beauty, with a cornucopia of fish of all colours and shapes and sizes weaving in and out of the corals.

It was a scene of tranquil perfection.

And yet, we were attired in onesies as barriers to any box jellyfish which might brush past, and warned we might glimpse reef sharks or other slightly alarming fish. Neither Don nor I saw anything but beautiful creatures.

But that doesn’t mean there weren’t predators around, with evil intent.

I’ve been reminded this week of the presence of dark spiritual predators in our world, perhaps closer than we imagine. I’ve been awakened to the reality of the forces which Paul warns of so eloquently in his letter to the Ephesians.

Lord, please sharpen my vision and give me the gift of discernment, so that I can more accurately target the predators in my neighbourhood, in my circle of friends, in my family. Thank you, Jesus, that there is no match for you anywhere in the universe. Thank you that you have defeated evil at the cross. Help me to live in the reality of my life today, seeing things as you see them, and taking on and defeating any force that would kill or destroy one of your precious ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment