Popular Posts

Monday 15 April 2024

Could you not sit with me?

 

The warmth of the conservatory drew me in for my morning quiet routine. As I focused on the devotional, I gradually become aware of the gentle purring of the cat, stretched in the sun on the chair opposite me. Indy isn’t a cat who craves petting and cuddles, but she enjoys company, as her contented purrs demonstrated.

Companionship needn’t be noisy chatter. There’s an interactive contentment when sitting with others you love, or respect and appreciate, which needs no verbal exchange. All it needs is time.

I’m aware that lately, I’ve curtailed that sort of loving lingering with the Lord. There seems to be so much to do all the time, and for some reason it takes me longer to do it all than it used to. But when Don remarked the other day how much he enjoyed my company, even when we aren’t speaking, I recognised how much I’m missing time spent just sitting with the Lord, too. Prayer is an attitude of the heart as well as an outpouring of the lips.

This morning, as the world convulses in violence and pain, I am thinking of Jesus, in the Garden of Gethsemane, asking his friends to sit with him for an hour. To stay awake, and just keep him company.

I don’t know how to pray for this tortured world, but I can sit with the Lord of all as he prays.

So this morning, I surrender again to Jesus, knowing that I need his help to make some adjustments to my schedule, so that I have the right alignment of my priorities.

I don’t want to continue as Martha. I’d rather be Mary.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment