Popular Posts

Monday 8 April 2024

Harmonies

 

Familiarity breeds contempt. This old adage apparently springs from St Augustine, 5th century. I’d just like to dispute its assertion.

At least in relation to music. Playing cello in yesterday’s music group at church, I was delighted that two of the three worship songs were very familiar to me. Modern music comes without a written bass line, leaving the lower register instruments to ad lib. Having grown up playing in orchestras and quartets, where one was always playing harmonies and counterpoints written by talented composers, I find it extremely challenging to ‘go off-piste’ and make anything up.

Yesterday, though, with two of those songs, I felt free enough to ‘hear’ my inner harmonies a few times and do something slightly different from playing the written melody. Familiarity set me free.

The preacher encouraged us to really open our inner spiritual ears to hear the voice of Jesus. I suppose it is straightforward enough to know the ten commandments and endeavour to live by them, but in the vagaries and nuances of life, the whispers of Jesus guiding us in all we say and do can so enrich our lives and the lives of others. We are loved by the God of creation, who delights in diversity which is always harmonious in its beauty and richness.

May my spiritual ears be attentive today, and my will be willing to obey whatever I hear the Master whisper. It’s as we live the harmonies God gives us that we make the most beautiful music to bring joy to the throne of heaven and the ear of our Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment