Popular Posts

Thursday 4 April 2024

On the Journey

 

Shimmering lights flash on the periphery of my vision as I park the car at Tesco. Such visual disturbances have been part of life since I tumbled down steps at 17 years old, whamming the concrete near the left temple of my forehead and sustaining a severe concussion. (Ever since then, I always hold the rail when descending stairs.) The debilitating headaches which used to accompany such light-shows have largely gone. Whew. I am very grateful for that mercy.

When the lights shimmer, I am very aware of the distortions I see as the margins of my perception flicker and flash. If I am trying to read, I have to focus on one word at a time as the rest disappears in a light-show dance.

How easy it is to become mesmerised or distracted by our own viewpoints, determined by our own experiences and perceptions, and fail to appreciate the different and individual experiences through which others are going or have gone. How tragic when misperceptions break relationships.

Lord, today and every day may I be blessed with Holy Spirit specs, so that I see only that which is true. May I never believe what is distorted by mine or others’ limited understanding. As I heard a speaker say years ago, I pray now: may I have a heart that is never affronted by someone else’s action or inaction. Instead, fill my heart, spirit and mind with your generous grace. May I have expectations only in you, my perfect Lord Jesus. You who prayed as the nails tore your flesh and shattered your bones: Father, forgive them, for they don’t know what they are doing.

None of us really knows what we are doing. We are all just doing our best, walking each other home.

(Those who know me will recognise in this reflection the aphorisms I’ve gleaned from my dear Mom, my dear daughter, a dear friend, and a speaker I heard only once. I’m grateful to them all for their wisdom. You never know when a sentence you utter might take root and grow to influence someone else’s life. Let those sentences be full of grace, love and mercy.)

God bless us all on the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment