Popular Posts

Monday 30 January 2012

A bit of a blip


A bit of a blip in the self-image department yesterday.

I don’t know why I am so vulnerable to the perfectly innocent question, ‘What do you do?’ Is it pride? Is it dissatisfaction? 

I don’t really believe that a career title that earns money makes you a more worthwhile or better person. I don’t really believe that if I’d sold the books I’ve written to a publisher, that would justify the time spent writing them. The time was justified because of the way it developed my thinking and my faith.  

And yet that question often sends me into a downward spiral of thinking I may have wasted hours of my precious life writing, cleaning or gardening. I never think hours raising kids was wasted. 

Memo to Me. Develop a strategy for turning that question into an opportunity for declaring something about the Kingdom of God. Some people have a passion for physics, or for art, or for literature. My passion is God. 

His love for me is so precious. His guidance has been there, never as clearly as in an email or a voice from heaven, as I would choose, but there just the same. 

May I convey my passion for God passionately. Today. Or at least, the next time I get asked, ‘What do you do?’

No more blips, please. I’m getting too old for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment