Popular Posts

Monday 6 October 2014

The Rhythm of Life



In and out. In and out. 

That’s how we breathe. In and out. In and out. If you’re doing Pilates, you’re trying to do a ‘wide’ breath in, and on the out breath, engaging your core. Haven’t quite got that yet, but I’m pretty proficient at breathing in and out, in and out.

That establishes the basic rhythm of life. We had the birth of Felicity in our family ten days ago, and a few days later I heard of the death of a friend’s brother-in-law. Three months after our daughter was born, several years ago now, my own grandfather died. In and out. 

It’s like a swing door. When I was growing up in California, a lot of my friends lived in homes which had kitchen doors a bit like the doors on a western-style saloon, just covering your middle bit, and swinging either way. 

The divider between this world and the next is thin. There is a constant rhythm of lives slipping in and out. Because we love life and like to hold on to what we know, the slipping out part can seem frightening, but the promises of God should dissipate all fear. 

I am with you always, Jesus promises. When everything is ready for you, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am, he assured his disciples, and he assures us. 

So what’s to fear? The unknown? But when we step into the unknown with someone we love and trust, who we know loves us so much he died for us, there is nothing to fear. 

In, out. Simple. The rhythm of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment