Popular Posts

Thursday 15 December 2016

Crown of Splendour



Grey hair is a crown of splendour; it is attained in the way of righteousness. Better a patient person than a warrior... Proverbs 16:31


I love this picture of my mom. She is sitting patiently, waiting for Mhairi and me to look around the Wayfarers Chapel in Palos Verdes. She has no agenda, no big plans which she is impatient to fulfil. She is sitting on a stoop, facing a panorama of the Pacific Ocean from a position of tranquillity and peace. She is content. 

She’s one of my heroes. At 92, she is settling into a new way of life and embracing new opportunities. There are occasional shadows of nostalgia but usually she savours the memories of other days while seeking out the blessings of today. Her memory may slip a gear or two but even that is generally accepted with grace and humour. 

In these horrific days as Aleppo falls and rumours abound of terrors and atrocities, I echo the writer of Proverbs 16. Better a patient person than a warrior. I thank God for my dear mom, who continues to model faith and love even in the twilight of her days. 

May God bless this world with more people of patience and kindness, and fewer warriors.

No comments:

Post a Comment