Popular Posts

Thursday 1 December 2016

Be a blessing



A wise woman told me recently that when she’d suffered a terrible bereavement, the thing that kept her going and sane was to share with her husband each night, two blessings she’d had that day. I remember once being humbled by a group of Ghanaian orphans who, during a time of open prayer, kept jumping in with gratitude to God for the basics of life – the air, the sun, their bodies – which was all they had.

I’ve just returned from the annual Thanksgiving celebration with family in the States. The political mood there is odd, almost funereal, as shock waves from the election continue to hit. It seemed appropriate to be deliberate in thanksgiving because despite barrelling full-speed ahead into an uncertain future, we know that God is still God. One morning I felt guided to read Psalm 93, a good one when life seems in turmoil.

The Lord reigns, he is robed in majesty...and is armed with strength. ... The seas have lifted up their voice...their pounding waves. Mightier than the thunder of the great waters...than the breakers of the sea – the Lord on high is mighty.

Whatever wild waves are pounding on you just now, whether personal or national, God is still on his throne, reigning over all, able and mighty and strong to save. Take shelter in him.

Tonight I give thanks for every breath I take. I give thanks for modern communications which help me help my elderly mother from thousands of miles away. I give thanks for loving family and friends, for the home that keeps me warm and dry. I give thanks that because I have been so blessed, I have the opportunity to bless others.

May you be blessed, and be a blessing, always.

No comments:

Post a Comment