Popular Posts

Wednesday 21 December 2016

Yeast and Potica



Beware the yeast of the Pharisees, Jesus warned.

A tiny bit of yeast can make a substantial loaf of bread. Yesterday I baked the annual Potica we have as a traditional breakfast on Christmas morning. As I always struggle to get it to rise (in our cold house), this year I found the old fashioned dried yeast which you activate in warm water/sugar before adding it to the flour. It seems to have worked as the two sweet loaves were done in record time.

Over the last few years, I’ve used the type of dried yeast which sprinkles directly into the flour. Didn’t work very well.

A suitable matrix for the yeast needs to be found, perhaps. If the yeast of Christ is going to work through my life, I need to be sure he finds a warm place filled with love, a place in my heart. 

As I nurture that space for the yeast of Christ, there will be no welcome for the yeast of the Pharisees.

No comments:

Post a Comment