Popular Posts

Monday 14 August 2017

Blackcurrant Jam or Syrup?



We picked the blackcurrants on Rena’s bushes one evening last week. She is no longer able to get out there and pick them and was worrying about them all going to waste. Our own bush was pretty barren this year, so we arranged to pick hers and make the jam.

Deep breath. I confess I’d been relieved to have a barren bush. Picking, cleaning, making the jam is a lengthy process. But now I had Rena’s currants. Thinking to streamline the work, I used a jam thermometer, rather than testing like I usually do. It’s backfired; the jam reached the required temp away before it was at setting point, and I knew it but I put it in jars anyway. I had to move on to the next thing on my list.

Now, two days later, I’m re-boiling it. There’s only so much blackcurrant sauce one can use.

There’s a proverb (19:21) that states that we make our own plans but it’s God’s purpose that prevails. 

I always have a ‘to-do’ list and I’d ticked the jam off it. Now it’s back on, and I’m stirring a pot of blackcurrant syrup, staring catatonically at the figure of eight. Now it’s boiling. Now I’m testing it. I want to get it right this time.

It’s slowed me down. After a wonderfully busy couple of weeks, I’m tired. Perhaps the Lord will say something amazing to me through the stirring of the jam. Or perhaps he will just bring me into a quiet place where I can rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment