Popular Posts

Wednesday 13 September 2017

Swallows Sweep



Swallows sweep past the window, darting here and there, chattering to one another. Other small birds – probably the ones who may over-winter here – hop down from the branches of the towering larch tree, pecking the ground beneath. A pigeon emerges from the foliage of the gooseberry bush. Beyond the near space, crows caw and land on the rolls of hay dotting the golden field. 

Autumn is upon us. I feel the stirrings of my annual urge to store up for winter, like a squirrel, pine cones and twigs for starting those fires that are already needed. In life, too, I am prepping for whatever is to come. Trying to find order in the picture folders on my computer, printing some out so that in the event of a laptop meltdown I don’t lose my memories. Gearing up for another round of the endless de-cluttering. Where does all this stuff come from?! I’m not necessarily sensing imminent winter, but the signs are there, and I know it is coming.

Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever, and he is the one thing that doesn’t change. I don’t have to moan, like the children do in Narnia tales, that it is always winter but never Christmas. When winter finally does come, I expect my spiritual ears to pick up the heavenly anthems and to be ready to shout out ‘Hark! The herald angels sing! Glory!!’

No comments:

Post a Comment