Popular Posts

Friday 29 September 2017

Connect and Trust



I read Psalm 22 this morning, which is so familiar because many of the phrases were wrung from the depths of Jesus’ soul as he hung in agony on the cross (for you and me). The commentator reflected that difficulties come uninvited and are unwelcome, stripping us of the frivolous and taking us to the core of who we are. And in that place, we have a choice. We can connect with God in a deeper way or we can do it on our own, kicking and screaming all the way.

The thought resonated with me as I tackle various issues involving my mom’s care. Sometimes I am kicking and screaming all the way. I can feel all alone. I can feel frustrated, heart-broken, because I am so far away I can’t physically go and do things for her. I can feel anxious about the costs. I can stress about my own confusion over insurance matters.

Or I can connect with God in a deeper way and trust him. I can let him walk Mom home, and join him on the road.

Jesus gave us the ultimate example of trusting God in a deep way, right through the worst trials and temptations of his life on earth. He doesn’t forsake us as we walk through the difficulties. In fact, the difficulties are opportunities to draw nearer to him and know his peace.

Be still and know that I am God. I heard him say that to my very soul yesterday. He says it again today. I’m going to be still, still in the midst.

No comments:

Post a Comment