Popular Posts

Wednesday 17 March 2021

Blackbird Singing

 

One way and another, it’s been a busy week, with its highs and lows. I awoke in the night. It was still dark, but a blackbird sang its heart out. ‘Blackbird singin’ in the dead of night’ dropped onto the turntable in my head, and it’s been there ever since.

Waiting in the car to be called in for a blood test, I thought about that phrase from Paul McCartney’s song. I thought of the beautiful song of the blackbird, singing her heart out in the darkness. Not waiting for dawn to break. Maybe they’re the warm-up band for the dawn chorus.

It feels like the dead of night to me. Signs of the dawn coming, but morning hasn’t broken yet (that’s another record…) As a follower of Jesus, I should begin my song of joy now. My hope is built on an unshakeable rock, and I trust in him. I trust that day follows night, as he designed it to do. I trust that he is with us in the dark, in the tedium, in the confusion, in the grief.

Blackbird singing. This is our moment to be free. (Listen to the song. It’s still great.)

No comments:

Post a Comment