Popular Posts

Monday 8 March 2021

Navigating the Storms

 

In 1989, Tracy Edwards skippered an all-female crew competing in the Whitbread Round the World Yacht Race. The documentary, Maiden, tells this riveting story of courage, skill and tenacity in the face of male prejudice and disbelief.

Early in the journey, Tracy realised that her navigator and she could not work together. The navigator left the crew in South America, and Tracy then taught herself to navigate the fastest routes, while also skippering the boat and keeping everyone’s spirits and courage up during the testing voyage.

Today is International Women’s Day. Most of us won’t be competing in global yacht races. But whatever we are doing today, we are making decisions that affect the course we take. Whatever our stage of life, we need courage to navigate our journey.

When I am feeling wobbly, a bit unsure of my direction, I go to the source of all courage. I lean into God. Decades ago, I sat on a plane on the runway in Los Angeles. It was a wintry night there, wind- and rain-swept. I had a four- and a two-year-old with me, studying my face. We had just said an emotional farewell to my parents and sister. I was trying to hold it together, as these two little ones searched my face for comfort and strength. I knew that if I cried, they would be inconsolable.

‘God,’ I breathed silently, weeping inside. ‘Help me!’ I had recently experienced a life-changing encounter with God, and was just discovering the reality of his living word in Scripture. I sensed he was guiding me to read Deuteronomy 31:7-8. I had no idea what was in that passage; I could barely locate it, but I thumbed through the new pocket Bible I carried and found it near the front.

‘Be strong and courageous…The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.’

He calmed my pounding heart. He brought an encouraging smile to my lips as I looked, dry-eyed, at Mhairi and Jamie. He wiped away the inner tears and gave me courage, vision.

May I never grow so self-assured and cocky that I think I can find my own way. The Lord is a light to my path, in the big and small decisions of life.

As long as he is my navigator, I am safe and all will be well.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment