Popular Posts

Friday 19 March 2021

Mating Toads

 

We were tramping our usual trail, the three-mile walk we take most days after lunch. Setting the world to rights as we went, or sharing our concerns, or enjoying a laugh. I paid scarce attention to what lay underfoot, apart from trying to avoid the puddles.

Suddenly, one of the little bubbles of lumpy earth through which we were walking, moved.

‘Frogs!’ Mhairi cried. Or, possibly more accurately, toads. Toads glorying in the warmth of an early spring sun and doing what animals the world over do in spring. Playing Leapfrog but not going completely over. Mating.

‘I think I stood on one!’ I cried out, concerned and tiptoeing forward. Mhairi looked and confirmed that yes, perhaps I had. I couldn’t look.

Inadvertently, I may have injured or even killed one of these amazing creatures.

Yesterday morning, I had participated in a Zoom seminar on Migration, Refugees and Climate Change. Our attention had been drawn to the plight of millions of people affected by drought and flood and other natural disasters, as well as human injustices. Climate change is driven by profligacy in using resources and developing lifestyles which harm the planet. Most of that profligacy comes from the rich nations, where most of the inhabitants have choices. Also, I have been following a Lenten reflection on modern-day slavery and considering, this week, the exploitation of children in the production of chocolate.

Two man-made problems. Climate change, and slavery. Hidden within my lifestyle choices are victims of those choices.

Inadvertently, I have been stepping on mating toads. Inadvertently, I make choices which rob the hidden poor of their own choices.  

What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. (Micah 6:8) Today, may all of my actions be informed and inspired by motives of justice and mercy. May I tread softly through this day, and may all of my steps be guided by God, so that I squash no more toads, so that I do not squash the hopes and dreams of any of God’s children, anywhere. Light of the World, be my guide, transform my mind, soften my heart, and strengthen my voice to speak for those who have no voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment