Popular Posts

Friday 12 March 2021

Gracious Generosity and Gratitude

 

My newest grandchild’s name begins with a G. Gabriel. As I signed a card for him, I smiled to think of all the G’s in my life: God, Gregor, Gabriel, Groucho, and to some I am known as Gramma, and to others my mother is known as Gramma, or Gramma-Lyn.

This morning I’ve been reflecting on generosity, and its opposite number, greed. Two more ‘g’s. One special and God-given, the other a temptation we need God’s help to resist.

The widow of Zarephath shared what she thought would be the last meal she would ever make for her son and herself. She fed the stranger, Elijah, first, and then her flour never failed and her oil never ran out. Jesus commended the widow who quietly gave her last two coins to God, trusting him to provide for her.

I look at the state of the environment, ravaged by our greed. Inspired by God, may we all live generously today, and, focused on the God of grace, may we refuse to carry grudges and resist the pull of greed.

Help me, Lord, to trust you as did those two exemplary widows.

No comments:

Post a Comment