Popular Posts

Wednesday 24 March 2021

Grounded

 

The outsize container ship, loaded with fuel, ‘went dark’. It lost all power, leaving its rudder useless, and it drifted onto the sandbank on one side of the Suez Canal. Its length exceeded the width of the canal, and as it swung helplessly, the aft was driven onto the sand on the other side. This morning’s news reports that there it sits, completely blocking the Suez Canal, as six tugs try to pull it free without it sagging and breaking under the weight of its cargo.

Meanwhile, fifty ships a day are prevented from entering the busiest canal in the world and delivering their cargoes. Fifty ships loaded with goods ordered in far corners: vaccines perhaps, medicines of all sorts, food, manufacturing materials.

There is pressure on those struggling to free the ship and re-open the canal. Pressure to make the right decisions as to how to accomplish it. Pressure to stay focused.

A life well-lived is one lit and powered by the Lord our God. If the connection is lost and power is lost, we can easily drift onto sandbanks which not only stall our own progress, but may block the spiritual progress of others.

I had a disappointment yesterday when the book I’ve long laboured over was turned down, again. The light flickered as I felt the disappointment deep in my heart, as I questioned my calling, my ability, even my understanding of what I believe God said to me about this book, years ago. I drifted towards the sandbank.

Family gave me hugs. Sent me words of encouragement by text. Sent me links to uplifting spiritual songs. Friends commiserated.

This morning I sat with God. The lights flickered on again as hope began to rise. Whatever the purpose for my writing this book, God will accomplish it if I just keep moving with him, one step at a time. His purpose may not look like my purpose, so I need to surrender it to him again and allow him to work his purposes out. I’m smiling wryly, as I have a commission to write Bible notes on the topic of perseverance.

The Lord has a sense of humour. And a purpose. As I allow him to fire me up again and get me moving forward, I expect he’s got a few things to teach me. And I may yet share a laugh with him about it all. Today, though, I’m spluttering forward, powered by faith in the God who never forsakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment