Popular Posts

Wednesday 28 July 2021

Dirty Hobs

 

With seven people living here, our stove top (hob) is in high demand. An induction hob, it was fairly new to me when our household numbers expanded, and I wasn’t aware of the need to clean it well after every use. Especially when frying.

I’m aware now.

I’d vaguely noticed a dull circle developing around the central ring, and I did give it a wipe between one dinner production and the next, but my cursory cleaning didn’t do the trick. So, a couple of days ago, I thought I’d just get rid of it.

Hah. I’m still working on it. Last night Don joined in the fun. Maybe in another day or two …

It made me think of how easy it is to overlook the dirt as it accumulates, the dirt in my life. The critical thoughts. The quick-tempered words. The despair over politics and the environment.

Keep short accounts with God, is the advice I’ve often heard. Go to him daily for a clean-up. Otherwise, as happened to my hob, we stop reflecting the light of God and instead live dulled-down lives. The joy that is ours in Jesus goes.

We are really working hard to remove the last vestiges of solidified grease and dirt. Jesus worked hard, too. He paid a high price to clean me up. He paid the price once and for all, but I still pick up dirt in my daily life. May I be more mindful of the toughened stains on my hob, and clean them daily as I also take time with God to allow him to restore the me he created.

No comments:

Post a Comment