Popular Posts

Wednesday 7 July 2021

Complete protection

 

The green plastic netting stretches over the strawberry patch. Big berries, swelling in the rain, struggle to ripen and sweeten without more sunshine. But they do ripen eventually. Red and juicy.

I hate the netting because it can trap unsuspecting wildlife attracted to the sight and smell of the fruit. One year I found a frog entangled in it, and spent a half hour working to free it. Doug released three birds who had hopped in through an opening and couldn’t find egress. But if we’re going to harvest any strawberries, I have to protect the patch.

Of course, the netting does nothing to deter the slithering slugs. And beak-shaped damage reveals that somehow, some birds are managing to get in, enjoy a treat, and sneak off without discovery.

I am grateful that when Jesus gathers us under his wings, there are no gaps. When I lean in, in full trust mode, his love and reassurance cover me totally. I have to confess, though, that I am prone to pull away when things happen. I pull out of his embrace, and peek out at the insurance confusion for Mom’s health care. An hour on the phone yesterday only clarified what a muddle everything is, and how, without that phone call, Mom’s bills could have soared. Not yet completely understood nor sorted, I am extremely grateful to Stacie on the line who went extra miles to help clarify and is now chasing things down.  While I’ve got my gaze away from the protection of Jesus, I am astonished at the newly-discovered fact that few, if any, UK travel insurance companies are offering cover for the US because of Foreign Office restrictions on travel to amber countries. At the point of making a flight reservation, I have to pull back: I can’t go without insurance. My longed-for reunion with Mom may have to wait beyond November. My heart is heavy.

Although Jesus’ cover is complete, when I allow fears to flourish, it is as though I have a green plastic netting offering partial protection. Anxiety creeps in through the gaps. Sadness dampens joy, the joy of the Lord.

I read two encouraging words today: ‘The Lord himself will fight for you; you need only be still’, (Exodus 14:14) and ‘Be still and know that I am God’ (Psalm 46:10).

May I take these words to heart today and live in the joy and freedom of faith in these trustworthy promises. May I draw in close to Jesus: The Lord himself will fight for you. Singing out: ‘I’m gonna sing, in the middle of the storm…’

What has this pandemic been but a perfect storm? May I see the possibilities, the opportunities, for Jesus to be glorified and revealed during dark days. May I allow myself to be gathered close to God.

I suspect I may not be the only one struggling with challenges today. May God bless us all with renewed faith and joy. Let it rise. Eventually the strawberries will ripen, and they will be sweet and juicy.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment