Popular Posts

Tuesday 27 July 2021

Singing in the Rain

 

Oh! I’ve just sat down to write about how dry the garden is looking. Like California, the tall grass on the verge is brown and bent, dying back already, and it’s not even August. But what’s that pounding out of the heavens? Yes, the rain, long-predicted, has arrived.

So, I can score off a couple of items on the to-do list. No need to water the pot plants. I might, however, have to race round and unplug the internet and telephones if the thunder and lightning, also predicted, arrive.

The house is quiet this morning, except for the sound of the falling rain. I’ve been sitting in my prayer window, drinking in God’s words, drawing near to him in my imagination, in my words and prayers, in my sitting – trying to silence the random thoughts that flash like lightning through my mind so that I can be renewed, revived, refreshed.

Peter told the crowd in Jerusalem that when we draw near to God, he sends us times of refreshing. The world itself is parched and languishing, battered by violence, pestilence and the results of greed. May God bless his world with times of refreshing. May he enlighten us to live in harmony with each other and with the natural environment. May we all drink deep of his love, so that we no longer limp into each day, but rather dance into it.

May we sing in the abundant rain of God’s love today and every day.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment