Popular Posts

Tuesday 13 July 2021

Sigh ...

 

Sigh.

Most years, we work hard to plant a veggie garden.

If we had to survive on what we produce, we might last a week.

This year is already showing disappointing results. Not much fruit has set in the trees: probably too cold or frosty or windy or wet or dry or … just at the critical moment.

I did get 5 jars of strawberry jam made yesterday. Sigh.

Praying for China this morning, I found my thoughts turning to the megalomaniac urge to be in control, an urge sustained to the nth degree in a country centrally controlled by a man who claims a lifetime right to rule.

Most of us have an urge to control. We might not be ‘control freaks’, but we hope for  - even expect - certain results for the effort and input we invest. Like the harvest from my garden.

Covid-19 is teaching me, though, that whatever small measure of control I thought I had over things, it was always an illusion. No amount of input or planning guarantees a certain outcome.

So how to live responsibly in such an uncertain world? Just as the Bible counsels. Don’t worry about tomorrow. One step at a time today, and trust God to be in whatever the resulting outcome is.

This morning I am grateful for my health, and that nearly halfway through our isolation still only Doug has tested positive. I am grateful to be living in a rural setting where we can actually take a walk and not meet another soul. I am grateful for friends doing our shopping and praying for us.

This is the day the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it, and not worry about tomorrow. (with his help)…

                                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment