Popular Posts

Monday 5 July 2021

Divine Insurance

 

I’ve heard it said that some people hedge their bets by paying lip service to faith in God, as a sort of eternal insurance policy just in case … Just in case it’s true and there is a God, on arrival at the Pearly Gates, they want to be able to point out that they did acknowledge his existence in some sort of way while on earth. They hope that will be enough for an entry ticket to heaven.

I am challenged yet again by my mother’s health insurance, having received what is called an EOB, Explanation of Benefits, which is a euphemism for explaining why the insurance isn’t fully covering whatever the bill was. But it’s not a clear explanation, because some things are considered out of network and yet are partially covered … I don’t understand, so will be on the phone again today asking for clarification.

One would think that having insurance would bring the blessing of peace of mind, but I’m afraid that where Mom’s health insurance is concerned, I carry a bubble of anxiety that never quite goes away. Despite assurances from the provider, before an action is taken, that it will be covered, very often it turns out that it is not.

I wonder if nominal Christians carry a constant bubble of anxiety about their eternal outcome.

I am so grateful that Christianity is not about a divine insurance plan, but rather an incredible relationship with a divine being who loves us unconditionally. The premium I pay is my love for him. Even when I stray and sin, I can’t go out of network, because Jesus has paid the premium price on the cross. Full Stop. Period.

Hallelujah. A heartfelt thank you to Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment