Popular Posts

Wednesday 22 September 2021

Treasure!

  


I was doing the mundane. Wiping the ledges in the conservatory, where tomato plants soar and collapse, nearing the end of production. I was clearing away the corpses of numerous dead flying insects.

We had noticed that one of the tomato plants shared its pot with a rogue vine. We’d admired some pretty yellow flowers it bore as it entwined amongst the geraniums. We’d wondered if it were perhaps a cucumber or courgette that had somehow been left in the compost.

Yesterday, though, my intention was clearing up the tangled mess. As I unwound the vine from some geraniums, I realised it carried weight. I looked again.

Treasure! There in the corner of the windows sat a melon. A small melon, true, but unmistakably a melon. Suddenly I realised I needed to keep watering! How exciting to harvest a melon! What a surprise!

It’s in the midst of the mundane, everyday that we sometimes unearth the gold, the treasure. A routine conversation can suddenly light up when something precious is shared.

A routine quiet time with God can be transformed into holy ground as he sweeps in with words of encouragement or comfort, calling you into a new season or re-anointing you to persevere in the season you’re in.

‘Your name is like honey on my lips,’ we sang a decade or so ago. ‘Your Spirit’s like water to my soul; your word is a lamp to my feet.’ Jesus, we love you.

May we all discover the treasure which lies concealed in unexpected places today.

No comments:

Post a Comment