Popular Posts

Monday 20 September 2021

The Joy of Bramble Mousse

 

I made a bramble mousse for the first time the other day. I made it in honour of my sister-in-law, who was celebrating her Golden Wedding Anniversary: it reminded me of my early years here, when we spent a good amount of time together and every year she made bramble mousse.

It was the first time I have ever used gelatine. It seems there is a knack to it.

I didn’t use quite enough, as I was doubling the recipe and only had enough gelatine leaves for one recipe, used the powder for the second amount, which fell short by 1/5th. I reasoned that I don’t like things too solidified, but what in fact happened was that it split slightly, with the bottom layer being more like jelly and the top majority a little on the soft side.

Tricky to get the right proportion of gelatine: something that will give the pudding cohesive body so it doesn’t remain runny, but not so much that it hardens.

Awake in the night, I was drawn to read a passage which spoke of the anointing of joy. Hebrews 1:9 talks of the anointing of the oil of joy setting Jesus above all others.

Is it too wild a flight of fancy to think of the oil of joy as a sort of gelatine in the Christian life? In the challenging times in which we are living, it is natural and tempting to be hardened into cynicism and / or pessimism. Filled with the Spirit of God, though, we can receive the anointing of the oil of joy which can balance us and keep us filled with peace, hope and love.

In a world rocking with violence and environmental upheaval, joy is a rare thing.

May the Lord anoint us all with the oil of joy, so that we can sit at God’s table in the presence of our enemies, fully focused on Jesus and trusting in his promises.

Joy is at the heart of the gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment