Popular Posts

Wednesday 29 September 2021

Everlasting Infrastructure

 

I was told that the potholes in the roads round our house, at one point, are so deep that ancient cobbles have been revealed. An old Roman road, or a medieval track, still intact beneath the crumbling asphalt of modern technology.

Our midday walk came at a time when roadbuilders had completed just half the task, finally patching some of the many cracks and crevices in the surfacing. What a half-baked job, we complained. Why didn’t they fill them all in? One of us took a picture to send along with a further complaint to the council.

Fortunately, before that email was sent, we saw the workmen return to complete the task. It’s still just patched, and not completely resurfaced, but at least, I think, all the holes are filled in now. No more blown-out tires and bent axles. Hopefully.

The Lord is slow to anger and abounding in mercy. May I also be slow to anger today. May I be spared from jumping to premature conclusions and firing off complaints. May I show grace to those who are trying to repair the broken infrastructure of our society, and be ready to encourage efforts even when they appear ‘half-baked’. I do not always see the whole picture.

Though our global society is cracking and pot-holed in many ways, I put my trust in the Lord today, knowing that underneath are the everlasting arms, like the ancient, unseen cobbles.

No comments:

Post a Comment