Popular Posts

Wednesday 22 February 2023

In but not Of

 

In the world but not of it.

As hearts harden and minds close, as opinions calcify and nerves twang, I pray that the Lord will keep my heart soft, my mind teachable, my opinion private and my nerves calm.

In the midst of the disciples’ storm-tossed, nail-biting crossing of the Sea of Galilee, Jesus walked on the waves and ordered them to desist. The disciples had just participated in the miraculous feeding of thousands with just a little bread and fish, which God had multiplied in their hands. Yes, Jesus was the catalyst for the miracle but the disciples needed faith to obey him and go out, prepared to look foolish in the eyes of the world, surprised when the Lord of all created enough in response to their faith.

And then they got in the boat, encountered a fierce storm, and forgot the miracle, and the power that Jesus had given them. Rather than trusting in the power placed in them by the Lord of all creation, and speaking to the storm themselves, they cried out to Jesus to save them.

May I grow up in my faith, trusting that God has given me power and authority in his Spirit. May Lent be a time of inward contemplation and greater revelation of just who this Messiah is that I worship. May I sharpen my listening ear to hear the still small voice of the Lord of all. May I discipline my rebellious soul to obey that still small voice, to believe all that he says. May I trust fully in the Lord who loves the world so much that he risked all to save us.

How good is the God we adore.

No comments:

Post a Comment