Popular Posts

Tuesday 14 February 2023

The Clock is Ticking

 

There is something about a clock ticking that galvanises me into action, but also prevents me from pausing to draw breath and consider.

I’ve unsubscribed from the genealogy site just before the free fortnight ended. I was so driven by the dwindling time, knowing that my heart is not in full immersion in this project so to pay a subscription is not what I want to do.

I’ve gathered so many names, stretching back centuries, and now feel overwhelmed and a bit muddled. I had to come out of the site just to be able to sit back, draw breath and consider. Already I see information lacking which I might have found on the site. But does it matter?

I will now spend hours, no doubt, trying to make sense of it, trying to display it in the large looseleaf binder I bought for the purpose.

The clock, of course, continues to tick. It is ticking for us all, and in some respects, the ticking is almost deafening. The environmental emergency clock is almost at midnight, and still those in positions of power bicker about the small stuff. In our society, more and more people are scrambling to work more than one job just to put food on the table and heat in the home. They are up against the clock constantly, nerves fraying, perspectives warping.

Help, Lord. Help us to step away from the clock and into your presence. Of course you are there when we are deafened by the clock, but help us to step consciously into your presence. To you’re your still, small voice. Help us to take the time to settle in our prayer spot and just be. Thank you that you don’t require anything of us but to love you – and when we do, consequentially we will seek justice, love mercy, and follow Jesus.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment