Popular Posts

Wednesday 1 February 2023

Intercontinental Connections

 

They’re finishing their dinner. We’re lingering over our breakfast coffee.

Just like that, we can see our Brisbane family in their new abode, and they can see us in our old one. Praise the Lord for technology. For all the connections we take for granted. For all the connections that are continued and enabled because of it.

Several years ago, we went through Ellis Island, the immigration center into the USA. Done up as a fascinating, interactive museum now, we listened into imaginary conversations between families at train stations and on docks in Europe, conversations reflecting the finality of emigration in the not-so-distant past. Families really did head off into the unknown, leaving behind loved ones forever.

As I plow through the generations of my family tree, I am impressed by the courage of so many of them. Courage I have to imagine, as there are no written records of their feelings or even who exactly they were, but seeing, for instance, some distant grandparents whose lives started in the American colonies and ended after the Revolutionary War. Some died in Nova Scotia, Canada, so I imagine they were supporting the Brits. Some applied for Revolutionary War pensions, so I imagine they were supporting the Patriots, the emerging Americans. All lived in turbulent times, where their perception was limited, their knowledge and information came from travellers who landed in their towns. Where they were pioneers in unknown territories and with limited vision.

I laughed to see that not one, not two, but three generations of distant grandmothers were named ‘Thankful’, nicknamed ‘Thanks’. I love that. I hope that they were able to live up to the challenge of their names, and I hope that I have inherited the gratitude gene. I’m going to work on it.

Gratitude is what enables joy. I love the description of Jesus who, ‘for the joy set before him, did not despise the cross’. His vision focused on the beyond, and he did not let the approaching agony of crucifixion to distract him from the joy of reunion with the Father in heaven, having completed his mission successfully.

The technology of connection with his Father in heaven was straightforward and didn’t depend on fibre-optics or satellite dishes. He went out to the hills and prayed. Or he worked on the carpenter’s bench and prayed. Or he got into bed at night and prayed.

First of the year admin demands cloud my mind. Things to sort out for Mom. US tax information to gather and give to the accountant (bless him). The on-going de-cluttering. I want to see beyond those clouds to the clear blue sky of eternity, and the joy of reunions in a place where there are no airports.

In the meantime, I am thankful for technology, and I am thankful for prayer. Gifts from above.

No comments:

Post a Comment