Popular Posts

Monday 20 February 2023

Echo

 

There is a place near here, behind ‘Jock’s’, which is our default twenty-five minute walk. When you emerge from the canopy of trees (sparse now thanks to Storm Arwen), there is an open space where, at the right time of day, you can spot deer and the occasional badger.

Children love to raise their voices out there in the open space, keening their ears towards the returning echo. Fun to watch kids experimenting with the phenomenon of an echo.

It isn’t so fun to lie in bed at night with an echo chamber in my head. I don’t want to imply for a  minute that there is an open space in my brain which invites an echo, but … Once the thoughts are thrown into this space, they return again and again, stealing sleep and robbing me of any peace.

There is no remedy that works for me apart from getting out of bed, wrapping up warmly and sitting at  the kitchen table, often with a banana (which I have heard is a soporific), dipping into my Bible readings for the upcoming day. Usually that leads to a prayer time of the heart, cleansing my thoughts and encouraging my mind down different paths.

I would like to discover how to mentally shout out words of life and peace, and have them echo round my head.

God encourages us to do that, assuring us of his love and care and total commitment.

‘Do not be afraid, for I have redeemed you. I have called you by name; you are mine… When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown … For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Saviour.’

How those words of Isaiah still resonate, centuries later. Thank you, Lord. May they echo through my heart, mind and spirit today and, most importantly, tonight!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment