Popular Posts

Tuesday 21 February 2023

Signs and Wonders

 

Signs went up last week. Road closed for a quarter mile either side of us, for four days. Then a gale blew up, and the workers stood down, and nothing happened. Yesterday, no signs up but a truck blocking the road in one direction, no driver to be seen. A worker sat in the cab of his truck in the other direction, on his phone. Someone crucial to the plans didn’t show up. So for at least half a day, he sat on his phone, waiting.

Road blocked again today but no sign of anyone working.

I’ve been considering pilgrimage recently. Jesus invites us to follow him. Sometimes we anticipate a detour up ahead, but in fact, we can slide on through whatever the terrain. Sometimes the road is blocked unnecessarily, we think, feeling frustrated as we twiddle our thumbs or scroll our devices.

A person plans their route but the Lord determines their steps. A day up to my eyes  in US taxes and I can see light at the end of this particular tunnel, green trees rising on the edge of the wilderness. Yesterday’s plans coincided with the Lord’s.

I wonder how today will go? The joy of pilgrimage is found, I think, in the flexibility that hopefully comes as I trust more in the Lord and less in the route I have planned for myself.

Have a great Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment