Popular Posts

Tuesday 20 June 2023

Absorbing the shocks

 

Silence is hard to find.

With Mhairi needing silence to record a book yesterday, we were painfully aware of every noise. It seemed everything conspired to disturb the silence. The farmer decided to spray slurry on his field surrounding our house. A helicopter went over. Then a plane, which seemed to groan on for so long I thought it might even be thunder.

When a herd of cows started approaching along the road, I just couldn’t believe it. Thankfully, they were put into the field away from us.

Despite the cacophony of our neighbourhood, yesterday’s session went well.

Be still and know that I am God. Never have I relied on that verse more heavily perhaps.

This morning, continuing to consider it, I had a picture of what I at first thought to be a spring. But no, it wasn’t so flexible and flimsy. It was strong steel, robust, yet able to receive knocks without breaking. A shock absorber.

God is our shock absorber. When we turn to him, he is more than able to receive whatever it is, and to cushion us from cataclysmic collapse.

Be still and know that I am God. Our loving Father, able to receive whatever we bring to him, with love and understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment