Popular Posts

Thursday 22 June 2023

Sweet Fruit

 

Nearly 9 pm and it’s still 70F outside. The air is still; the sun is thinking about sinking below the western horizon, so the shadows stretch out. Although summer is busy with all the gardening and outdoor jobs, there is something so relaxing about just being warm.

Most of the year I wear multiple layers and still shiver. Not only do I hail from the warm climate of southern California, but now I’m on medication which thins my blood and I think – or is that an old wives’ tale? – thicker blood keeps you warm.

I am disappointed that the cooking apple tree, and the plum tree, are both bearing little fruit this year. Was there a late frost that killed the blossom? I don’t remember one. Did I feed them the wrong kind of food? The leaves look luxurious so maybe I did.

If I am going to bear spiritual fruit, I need the right kind of food. I need enough of it consistently, and I need the warmth of friendship for it to blossom. Then I need to be out there mixing in the world, offering fruit to those who are spiritually starving. Or do I/

A tree doesn’t rush around with an over-full To-Do list. People know where to go when they are hungry. May I be content to rest in God, trusting him to grow and sweeten fruit that will satisfy.

Be still and know that I am God.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment