Popular Posts

Friday 30 June 2023

The Earth is the Lord's

 

Last day of June. Jamie and Chrisie’s anniversary, (Happy Anniversary to a lovely couple), as well as the day before I start trying to live Plastic-Free July. I scooted through the grocery store this morning, just needing dinner for tonight, and found that in potatoes, I could only buy baking or sweet that were loose, and veg was limited to a few choices such as broccoli, squash and aubergines. No soft fruit.

It’s going to be a long month. But I will proactively seek out greengrocers, a thing of the past for Banchory, or other supermarkets that might be more environmentally aware. Meat, when we have it, from the butcher’s into my own box (probably plastic, I admit); fish from the wonderful fish shop. Where will I buy milk and yogurt?

I’ve already changed to plastic-free deodorant, shampoo and conditioner bars, silicone lids for storage, but the biggest space is taken, in my recycling bin, by plastic fruit and veg containers.

I want to clean up my act so I am not actively bequeathing to my children and grandchildren a depleted world where bio-diversity has completely diminished, floods and wildfires are common and the poor are paying for my wasteful lifestyle.

The earth is the Lord’s and everything in it.

Visit https://www.tearfund.org/campaigns/rubbish-campaign/rubbish-bin-go if you want to join in their Plastic-Free July campaign. Our individual efforts may seem like small potatoes, but as a supermarket awash with plastic says on its tag line: every little bit helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment