Popular Posts

Wednesday 18 July 2012

Faithfulness


Faithfulness is a quaint concept in many people’s eyes. It’s kind of cute when applied to a dog – the epitome of faithful and unconditional love. I only need look at Dusty to think that – on the odd occasion when I’m gone for several hours, she always greets me with pure joy and no hint of reproach. 

It’s hard to see how a loving relationship between a man and a woman can survive, though, without faithfulness. In our 37 years of marriage, I suppose that trusting in my husband’s faithfulness has been one of the rocks, a given, something I never had to question. Had I suspected he was being unfaithful, that would have undermined everything. Yet (if the magazines at the hairdressers are to be believed) it seems that many marriages these days are not only scarred with unfaithfulness but there is sometimes even an expectation that both partners might indulge a wandering eye.

The Bible says ‘Know this: God, your God, is God indeed, a God you can depend upon. He keeps his covenant of loyal love with those who love him and observe his commandments for a thousand generations.’ Deuteronomy 7:9, The Message.

Now that is faithfulness. Dependability. Keeping promises. Remaining loyal. Returning love. God is love, and he can be depended on. 

That’s a rock I can stand on today. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment