Popular Posts

Friday 20 October 2017

Anticipation



Anticipation. Preparation.

Some of the fun of having visitors is anticipating their arrival. Preparing their rooms. Planning and fixing food. Lighting the fire, and warming or chilling the wine.

As I chopped onions this morning and peeled a pile of shallots, I sensed myself tensing up and wishing the work were all finished. I stopped myself and put on a praise CD, reflecting on a half-heard story which suggested that the taste of the finished food reflects the attitude of the chef: if it is prepared in love, it will be delicious. If it is prepared in haste and impatience, perhaps there might be a bitter aftertaste.

I don’t honestly believe that: I’ve seen Gordon Ramsey’s fiery temper in the kitchen and am sure his food doesn’t leave a bitter after-taste! But perhaps as I try to create the perfect ambience, I might spoil it if there is an air of exhaustion hanging over the kitchen!
 
Whatever your hand finds to do, do it as if you’re doing it for the Lord. One of Solomon’s wise proverbs. When I think of who I’m making soup and fish pie for, my heart sings, and whether or not the food tastes better, I know that I will have a cheerful face to greet the guests rather than a strained and tired one.

I’m really looking forward to sharing food with much loved family. Happy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment