Popular Posts

Saturday 2 January 2021

Dad's Birthday

 

January 2nd. It would have been my dad’s 98th birthday today. Ninety-eight!

One sadness of not being able to get back to visit Mom, is not being there to take her to Green Hills and visit his grave, clipping the overgrown grass and decorating it with flowers. I’ve not been able to take her for almost two years now.

Maybe it isn’t important, but it feels bad not being able to take proper care of his grave. He always went to the barber every three weeks to get a ‘short back and sides’, and that makes me want to give his gravestone a ‘short back and sides’, too.

Instead, I am asking the Lord to help me to trim off any raggedy bits of memory I have of him, so that I honour him with my life as I live out some of the truths he instilled in me. I am grateful for his faith, for his loyalty, for his love, for his meticulous observation of telling the truth. I’m asking God to bless my understanding of every aspect of his character.

I give thanks today for his life well-lived. I wouldn’t be who I am, without his strength and character and fatherly love.

No comments:

Post a Comment